Thursday, June 17, 2010

Q&R4

How do you describe your primary objective when revising?

I find that I relate to the experienced writers described in “Revision strategies of student writers and experienced adult writers.” This may be because when I revise I look for patterns in the overall expression and general context of what I am arguing for or against. I can relate to the experienced writers when they say that their first draft is usually a general expression of their argument. I feel that this helps the writer communicate to his or her own self what they want to write about and allows them to search even further for more information to write about. Similarly I like to think of my writing as a more mature form. As it was discussed in the text students don’t know how to appeal to their teachers in their writing. When I read this I believe that no one can actually fully appeal to their teacher or audience, but having an understanding for their preferences gives an advantage and makes the writer more mature. It’s similar to the process of making what is commonly known as the “web” because in our first drafts we organize our text. Then, we can add detail to each piece of information as we revise. This form of revising, in my opinion, is more constructive that writing everything possible in the first draft, then only looking for the grammatical errors. This is because I feel when the writer looks at his or her text as a whole, as opposed to in small sections, more room for expansion can be found while simultaneously they will correct simple grammatical errors in their texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment