Thursday, June 17, 2010

Q: How does peer respond help you develop as a better reader and writer?

R: Peer response isn’t always a liked assignment. Many students like me are very conservative when it comes to their reading. I personally have never liked having to share my writing with others, especially knowing that the purpose as to criticize. I feared sounding ridiculous and stupid. After reading the article “Research in the Classroom: Learning through Response” by Alice M. Gillam, I began to see the Peer Response in a different way. Gillam presents ideas informing the reader of the benefits one receives when peer response takes place. When a student shares his/her response with a classmate, they have to understand that the critiques they get are to improve their writing. Peer response allows student authors to see what the world thinks of the message they are trying to deliver when they right. It allows the student to see what needs to be improved in their writing and it how clear the concept is before turning in the final draft to the teacher. Peer response also opens doors to more interaction among the students. They begin to see their classmates’ points of view. It also allows the author to go deeper into thought of his writing. Gillam also claims that peer response allows the author to have a greater level of maturity and sophistication; however, peer response doesn’t only benefit the writer, it affects the reader as well. Peer response allows classmates to understand one another’s opinions and ideas; it also benefits the reader by developing a higher order of reading skills. This technique pushes students to practice strategies. Practicing peer response helps the writer connect with his audience before presenting their paper to the judge (the teacher). It’s a great way to improving reading and writing skills in both the writer and the reader.

1 comment:

  1. I get identified with you about being conservative, I do not like others to read my papers because I know they are going to criticize me. But the articles we have been reading made me realize that it is very important and helpful to do peer revision.There are a lot of benefits students can get from doing peer revision. Both the writer and the reader learn something. Now I do not care if my paper is criticized because I know it is for my own good.

    ReplyDelete