Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Q & R 2

Q & R 2

What is a good reader?

Does being able to read every single word in a context make you a good reader? Some might believe this to be true while others might disagree. When being in college a student should be able to read any material that is presented to him or her, but understanding the material is a whole other aspect. Students entering college might think that English is easy like it was in high school but college is a whole different level in my opinion. There are strategies that we as students should learn that can be very useful when it comes to both reading and writing. One of the ways students (readers) try to make meaning of a text was called “rhetorical reading” an attempt at constructing a rhetorical context for the text as a way of making sense of it. Another idea is critical reading which involves more than careful reading for content, more than identification of conventional features of discourse, such as examples and having to agree or disagree. Each student is different and that’s the beauty of English you will never get the same answer or approach because all students have different opinions and views.


Jaime A

3 comments:

  1. I feel this is true about much of reading that I do, even though I might not understand some of context it does make me a bad reader. In some of the text, try not to use too much of the article in your Q&A. Overall, it makes me accept how badly I read and comprehend, though I try my best to understand the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so true that we,as students, should learn more strategies to improve our reading and writing, but it is a shame that teachers do not teach us some of those strategies during high school and we do not try to go beyond what they teach us. I am a high school student and I really find the readings difficult here in college, but I know that the strategies discussed in Haas and Flower will help me to improve both my reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that readers can be good at certain aspects of reading and still not feel like they are good readers. We often did not have teachers that went in depth to help us understand more than the text and it really does hinder our progression forward in our reading skills.

    ReplyDelete