Wednesday, June 9, 2010

q&r2

How can you become a “good reader”?

This question was the first thing that came into my mind because I do not consider myself as a good reader, although I like to read novels and I realized that the more I read the more I understand what I am reading. The problem is when I have to read anything else that is not a novel.
I think that most of the students think they are “good” readers because they read quickly, but I do not think this is necessarily make you a good reader or have large vocabularies. I believe that what makes you a good reader is the way you understand the text.
One of the problems that most of the students have is that they paraphrase, because this happens to me, but what we all need to do is to make critical thinking. I think that the first thing I need to do is to find the way to make the text more interesting, and then ask questions for myself like what, why and how. If I do not understand, what is almost always wrong with me, I have to read it the many times I need to understand it.
You need to analyze the text to be a good reader and criticize it and you will become a “good reader”.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that a person can become a good reader by knowing how to comprehend a text as they read. Like many people say, "practice makes perfect," reading from a narrative to a complicated and elaborate piece containing jargon never heard from the vocabulary we use makes a well-experienced reader. Basically, it's all about having the ablitiy to understand the author and the text. So true about critical thinking!

    ReplyDelete