Friday, June 18, 2010

Q&R4 Sommers
Do revisions from Peers really work or are they Helpful?


How can we as students revise other papers, when at times I don’t even know what I’m writing about let alone revise someone’s paper. “Students consider the thesaurus a harvest of lexical substitutions and believe that most problems in their essays can be solved by rewording” How can we as students be sure that our “revision’s “ of papers isn’t just rewording instead of the actual text making sense. Not all students actually give intense criticism that the writer can actually reflect on, I in my perspective rather have myself revise my paper or friends I can actually trust, or for the professor to review my writing with me. All I ever get from previous revisions is “doesn’t make sense, rephrase” other students don’t understand the way each individual has for writing each person has a different style. Are they really helpful? I guess the only way to actually prove if they do, is if the first time you did it without revision it made better sense or after the revision. If you actually like other students reading you’re work and some even receiving your ideas to use in their essays, or articles. So maybe trying revision of peers papers can be a good idea but its all in the comments you receive or if you’re a good writer is it worth someone other than the professor to read your articles or essays. “Recursive process- a processes with significant recurring activities – with different levels of attention and different agenda for each cycle”, is it actual what other students give in revising or is it just to finish the assignment.

3 comments:

  1. I myself don't like other people reading my paper unless it's a person I trust or the professor like you said. I see it as helpful in a way but at the same time because students don't really know what's really right nor do the teachers at times but when it comes to deciding who should revise MY paper...a teacher of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ashley Nicole, because it was discussed in one of the previous readings that most inexperienced student writers don't understand how to write like an experienced writer, and I believe that reflects on their revision strategies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. its always better to have someone who knows what you are talking about revise your paper. i agree with you

    ReplyDelete