Sunday, June 20, 2010

Q&R 1

How can having good self confidence and asking for help when it is needed help students like Jack better succeed?
In the D&W Article we learned about a student named Jack who struggled through an English class at Utah Valley State College. His previous writing experiences with negligent discouraging classes and instructors in his earlier education had not only damaged his understanding about writing and his ability to write, but had actually damaged his self esteem to the point that he became very reluctant to even try to write. However, in his English with Professor Downs, he was greatly encouraged in his writing and helped by the instructor in his drafts and writings. This helped him to succeed and expand his prowess as a writer. I believe that it is very important that students of writing are given as much encouragement and help as they need because not many get it and this, I believe, is largely to blame for the failure of many students in writing and reading classes, because they don’t know what they are doing and do not have the confidence nor the support to help them learn and overcome their impairments. Self confidence is everything in terms of helping people succeed and overcome obstacles in life that hinder their true potential. If someone does not believe that one can do something, then they will fail from the onset. If I believe that I can’t write this paper and write it well, then I’ve already failed from the beginning simply by not believing in myself and my abilities. It is very possible that I won’t even attempt to write. However, if I have great confidence in myself and my abilities, I will have a much greater chance of trying and succeeding in my writing endeavors. This applies to everything in life, if someone does not have sufficient self confidence and believe that they can set out and achieve their goals, then they will fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment